tisdag 15 juni 2010

Adaptations

One system I have at the moment, on a shelf apart from the big bookshelf, is a shelf for adaptations:
Primarily, it's the book and then the movie / tv series based on the book. But there are a couple of exceptions... Men in Tights and The Outlaws of Sherwood are both different interpretations of the Robin Hood myth - and since this picture was taken, I've put my Arthur Conan Doyle collection and Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. in the shelf. Inkspell and Inkdeath haven't been made into movies, but I put them with Inkheart and Inkheart in the hope that they may yet be... And in the case of Neverwhere of course, the book is based on the tv series.

I'm thinking of a way of expanding this: adding books that are adaptations / interpretations of other books. The Odyssey with Ulysses, Strändernas svall (Return to Ithaca) and The Penelopiad. The Jungle Books with The Graveyard Book. Treasure Island with Lighthousekeeping. Alice in Wonderland with Tom Waits' Alice and Alice in the Country of Hearts. The Wizard of Oz with Wicked... when I've read Wicked. And so on.

This could probably go hand in hand with the intertextual system I pondered here. But I wonder where I'd place Jasper Fforde. I'd probably be needing that every book next to all other books system.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar