onsdag 28 juli 2010

By goodity

... which isn't synonymous with "By quality". It's even worse. It's ordering the books by how good you think they are - basically, how much you love them. I guess the physical organization would be that your favourite books would be in the most visible, easily accessible spaces, and the crap you're ashamed of would be shoved into the far corners.

Even though I'd love to give pride of place to the books I want to hug every time I see them, I foresee angst in this system.

The angst comes with questions such as: Is it as good as you remember? Or, by all means, as bad as you remember? Would you dare to reread, or do you want to rely on the judgement you made then? And are you not afraid of retribution from the books you scornfully dismiss to the fail-shelves?

And of course, there are so many kinds of love. I'm a book polygamist myself. How to differentiate between the books you bring round to meet all your friends, and the ones you spent that one amazing weekend with? And I keep wondering if there'd be jealousy dramas, tiffs, ultimatums and renewed seduction attempts? I'm not sure I dare to try this system - not for reorganization. It probably has to evolve over years.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar