lördag 12 juni 2010

Chaos order

When I ask around, a lot of people seem to have their books in no order at all. Sometimes it comes with practical modifications - big books on some shelves and small books on some, for example, to make as much use as possible of the available space. Sometimes books by the same author stand together, at least if it's an author the shelfer collects. But the basic idea is: no specific system, put the books where there's room for them.

I kind of like this system. I've been thinking I should try it, but then I run up against the question: how do you organize a chaotic system? For a long while, my books have always been in one order or another, and to create chaos out of that I would have to reorganize without organizing. Maybe next time i move to a new flat/house?

Then it hit me: I do in fact use chaos order in one of my shelves! In my bedroom I have a shelf for my poetry books - in no order at all. Author books mixed with anthologies; nothing alphabetical or thematical or chronological. They are much fewer than the fiction books in my big bookshelf, but then poetry could always say more than prose, and in fewer words.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar