söndag 27 juni 2010

Alphabetically by protagonist

How about organizing your novels alphabetically ... not by the author's name but by the name of the main character?

Several brain teasers involved in this. First name vs. last name vs. nicknames/appellations/epithets is only the simple tip of the iceberg.

Books where the main character is never named would get a shelf of their own. These should probably be divided into first-person and third-person narratives; after all, "I" is a name of sorts.

More difficult are the books with several main characters. If you choose Leopold Bloom over Stephen Dedalus, Stephen will be offended, not to mention what Molly will think of you. And if you choose Ned Stark, Jaime Lannister will laugh at you. And so on.

And then, there are the books where the main characters have several names (Sandman - under S or M? Or K?).

Of course, simple systems are not what we are here for. So I might try this some time. Or at least begin to try it, and see whether the difficulties are over-comeable or maddening.

I can't remember if I dreamed this system up myself or if it was suggested to me ... So I tag it both ways ;)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar