söndag 4 september 2011

Aesthetically combined with ordered chaos

This system turned up after a couple of other systems had failed and my books were basically in complete quiet disarray. I had an idea that I wanted to arrange them aesthetically, but if I would do that with all of them, that accursed symmetry would lurk just around the corner waiting to pounce. So here's what I did:

I ordered a few shelves aesthetically. One with wings on the spines of the books:
one with faces looking at you on the spines, and one with landscapes (more or less):
I also let the leatherbound books stand together on one shelf, and the graphic novels on another.

The rest of the books I put where there was room or let them stand where they happened to be at the moment – and then I organized each single shelf alphabetically by author. The only time I moved them from where chance had left them was to accommodate my one subrule: only one book per author per shelf. (I chose asymmetry over randomness.)
So now it's possible to find books, even if it might take a while (and if I remember what their spines look like), but it's still both asymmetrical and random. I'm a bit pleased. Until next time I need to reorganize.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Have you tried by weight?

    SvaraRadera
  2. Oh, no I haven't! That's a great idea, thanks for the tip! It would probably be less symmetric than by number of pages :)

    SvaraRadera