lördag 22 januari 2022

Backwards alphabetical by title

I haven't updated in forever, because my current system works so well I've had it for a long time. Backwards alphabetical by title. Titles that end with A come first - and so on.

It has everything: order, findability, and asymmetry. 

(Backwards is so that series that all start with the same word/name won't stand together.)

I admit I have been inconsistent when it comes to subtitles. Sometimes I include them, sometimes not. But at least there are only two places to look.
It was inspired by a historical Chinese system - a writing system that doesn't use an alphabet can't have alphabetical order, so the imperial library, and an encyclopedia from the 15th century, ordered by the rhyme of the last syllable of the last word. (Source: The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel.) And so my bookshelves rhyme.
This update was also inspired by this post on tor.com, which, together with the comments, show I am far from alone in thinking about this. I might be the only one sorting my books backwards alphabetical by title though.
Here's the complete shelf. Some series are in the small shelves to the sides, because every centimeter counts. There's also a shelf in my bedroom - the books there are chosen and sorted entirely sentimentally.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar